Sunday, April 4, 2010

MUSEUM REPORT










Right before starting to read Dante's Inferno I took a visit to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in search of art and painting that took place around the same time that the book was written. after searching information on Dante's Inferno I found out that it was written during the 1300's and the story starts the night before Good Friday and continues on until the Wednesday after Easter Sunday, in which it narrates the passage of a man through Hell, Purgatory and finally Paradise. The Inferno is the first part of his well known epic the Divine Comedy.


While I was at the museum I found different pieces of art ranging from sculptures to painting and even home accessories, and the one common thing found among all of them was that they all share the topic of religion as being their main theme. The first picture posted is an altarpiece that depicts the life of Christ, Saint John the Baptist and of Saint John the Evangelist. I also included a photo of a textile fragment that shows eagles, clouds and sunrays which I took into my own interpretation as being a representation of heaven, which for aa catholic person means paradise.

There is also a picture of a hangind lapm whose outline is made out of prophets and saints and once again I realized that the topic surrounding all these artifacts are religious figures. These are all objects that make part of an everyday life of a regular human being and to what I was able to observe they are all directly connected to religion that can greatly influence people and what they do.
The final point that I want to make was that realizing that all this objects and Dante's Inferno are direclty related to religion and the path of a man in order to reach a final place at the always wanted Paradise, makes me realize that it is religion and what we believe will get us to that place that rules all our acts in the present, we act in the way in which religion and our morals makes us believe is good in order to be able to reach Paradise without getting stucked in hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment