Wednesday, April 28, 2010

This Saturday I decided to go to the Metropolitan Museum of Natural History. This was my second time going there so I knew my way around. I was interesting to see the Renaissance paintings because to me they look like there are alive. I think that they are so carefully painted, that it looks like you could walk right through the partings. I took an Art History class two semesters ago and the only paintings that fascinated me were the Renaissance paintings. They are painted so carefully and detailed and you can see each emotion and action that the artist is trying to show his audience. One thing that the Renaissance paintings have in common is that they all are paintings of Madonna and baby Jesus. Here are some of the pictures that I took.


This painting is from Hans Memling

The Title: is Virgin Merry and Child with Saints Catharine of Alezandra and Barbara.


This painting is made with oil on wood.

As you can see it shows Virgin Merry holding baby Jesus in her hands. Also around her are the

Saints celebrating the birth of Jesus. I like this picture because i could really see the emotions on the characters faces and how they all are looking down at the new born.




As you can see this painting is also of Virgin Merry and Baby Jesus. This painting is unique compared to the others because it is divided into three parts. Each part has its own meaning Also we can see how carefully it is detailed.


This painting is by Jean Bellegambe


Title: The Le Cellier Altarpiece


It is Oil on Wood

Here Virgin Mary and baby Jesus is placed in the center. This shows that they are the most importen people in this painting. Saint Bernard, a reformer of the Cistercain order are a fervent proponent of the cult of Mary gather with his family around the throne of the Virgin.




Finally, my favorite piece is the Madonna and Child Enthroned with Saints.


This painting is by Raphael

Title: Madonna and Child Enthrone with Saints Oil on Wood



This painting was painted in the 1504. The Surface is very smooth. The figures are placed in a pyramid shape, with Madonna's face in the center. This painting is very special because Raphael uses the 1 point perspective on the stair case. This means its perceived by the eye. Basically Raphael made it look like a 3D painting. The 1 point perspective was very famous in the Renaissance era. Also on the top we have the angel looking down on Virgin Merry and baby Jesus. It is a symbol of protection.









As I have said before in the Renaissance era most of the paintings were with Virgin Merry and baby Jesus. As I walked in the Renaissance hall that was the only face that i saw around. I really enjoyed this trip to the MET because it gave me the chance to really look at these paintings and see what the artist wants us to focus on. Even though my Saturday was gone, I had a pretty good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment