Thursday, March 4, 2010

Museum Project - Ancient Greece






I went to The Natural History Museum and saw the Ancient Greece section. I was particularly interested in the Greek Mythology section. The
picture on the right is a sculpture of a pomegranate. A pomegranate i
s considered the fru
it of the Underworld and the story of Hades and Persephone, which is my favorite myth. The visit gave me a different picture of the Gods. When you hear a myth you imagine the figures in certain ways. When I saw the sculptures of the different Gods, I was surprised to see how the Greeks pictured them. The picture on the bottom left show Dionysos, the God of wine and ecstasy. I pictured shorter, slightly rounder, the image of a drunk.

At the time I was also reading the Iliad, and there was a section of war
items that reminded me of the book. There were shields, armor, and other weapons of ancient Greece. What struck out to me was the head shield. It was the same one that I picture while reading the Iliad.



No comments:

Post a Comment