Sunday, May 9, 2010

Ancel's Museum Report

During my visit to the metropolitan Museum, I decided to focus on arts relevant to the medieval time. Just like Dante's Inferno, Medieval arts are mostly about religion. In the prospect to share my understanding of what medieval arts are about, I decided to take 2 different pictures, each representing the general form of medieval art; sculpture and glass work.




This sculpture is called Icon with the Virgin and Child. I chose this one because it made me think of the role of the women in the male dominated religion. In Catholicism, only men are allowed to be priests, cardinals and other important figures while women have a side role as “sisters”. But here we have this picture representing a woman that gave birth to the god of this religion. A woman that took care of him and that is seen carrying him but yet women are not considered as important in this religion.







This one is called Angels swinging Censers. During the medieval times, artist master the art of working with stained glass. So they use this to decorate church while representing many important events of Christian religion.
After looking at many other medieval art, I came to the conclusion that art was mainly used to renforce the religion during this period.

No comments:

Post a Comment