Monday, May 3, 2010

museum visit



A few weeks ago I went to metropolitan museum. I visited renaissance section. Here you can see a sculpture of the founder of Renaissance in Italy the Lorenzo De Medici . I grew up with the idea that the Medici family were the benefactor of renaissance.However, the violent part of history that we saw in the documentary movie was left out form the textbook (well, at least as I remember it. High school was long time ago and I tend to glorify renaissance.)







I forgot who is this one, but you can see the resemblance of Greek art. Renaissance and mythology.











Renaissance art,unlike the medieval art, is full of bright color and naked human bodies (well, Greek goddesses to be more precise).Among my favorites belongs Venus and Cupid from Lorenzo Lotto. I like this picture for its playfulness (the urinating Cupid was a symbol of fertility).











Venus Adonis from Titian










Although religion is present in renaissance, it is not conveying suffering and seriousness as ti was in medieval art. It is a joy to look at the pictures.











I also visited section with armor. In comparison with the Greek version there is not torso muscle apparent on the armor. Yet again it looks stylish and strong.



No comments:

Post a Comment