Monday, May 17, 2010

Roman's Museum Project



I went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art on Friday for the first time. I focused more on the Italian Renaissance Art, but I wish I would have done my blog project earlier in the semester, while we were reading the Iliad. I found that the Greek Art was much more intriguing to me. I guess this might be because I did prefer reading the Iliad than any of the other stories we read.


The photo "Saint John the Baptist Bearing Witness" you see above was first said to be painted by Francesco Granacci, a Florentine Renaissance painter but after doing some research on this photo Everett Fahy, former head of European paintings at the Met, says it is the work of the Renaissance genius Michelangelo. Regardless of who was the painter of this photograph is , I feel that it is very beautiful the details in this photograph are simply amazing. To me the details on this photograph make it come to life. The photograph illustrates the life of Saint John the Baptist.

The sculpture you see to the left I encountered as I walked
through the museum little did I know is that this sculpture is that of
Ugolino and His sons. It was sculpted by Jean-Baptiste Carpeaux.
The story of the Pisan traitor Ugolino, imprisoned with his sons and condemned to starvation, was told by Dante in The Inferno canto 23. Carpeaux shows the anguished father resisting his sons' offer of their own bodies for his sustenance.
Overall these two works really caught my attention, my visit to the Museum was a great experience, the visit helped me actually have a visual image of everything we read throughout the semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment