Tuesday, May 4, 2010

My Museum Report

Just like Ying Lee this was my second visit to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. My last visit was for an awards ceremony many years ago. During my visit I was on the hunt for items from the Italian Renaissance period, which basically ran from the early 1400’s to the late 1600’s. I personally selected this period because I believe it is this period that has most influenced the modernization of the world we know today, and in my opinion this period produced some of the greatest artifacts.

The above photo represents a piece of Medici porcelain. I found this piece truly exceptional due to it’s rarity, and felt that it could relate to our in class discussion of the Medici family and the vast contributions they made to Italian culture.

This is the Farnese Table; it was created by Giacomo Barozzi da Vignola for the Palazzo Farnese, which is an Italian Renaissance palace in Rome. This piece is extremely different because it has a floral pattern created using alabaster, a material that is extremely common in Asian designs.

This is a Renaissance Pharmacy Jar. Pretty Amazing when you compare it to the common pill bottle of today.

This is the papal ring of Pope Paul II, who served as pope from 1464-1471, This ring is extremely interesting for many reasons. From my own jewelry manufacturing experience, the hand cobbling under the nameplate could have take hundred of hours to create. The artistry is amazing, but this ring has another amazing story. It once was in the hands of Bernard Baruch.

My trip to the MET proved to be a great experience as I was able to connect in class lessons with what I was viewing. It was these connections that allowed me to write my report so fluidly.

David Zaremba

No comments:

Post a Comment