Monday, May 10, 2010

Dante's Inferno

This is my 3rd time going to the Metropolitan Museum and I enjoyed every visit. It is amazing how ancient people using simple tools to create such great images. This time I'm here to find arts about Dante's Inferno so I went to Medieval Art and European Paintings sections.
At Medieval Arts section, there were some paintings and worship tools. Somehow I lost all my Medieval Arts section pictures and some European Painting pictures, so I borrowed this picture from Demi's blog without her permission. We went there together so I think it is ok.


Christian, like Islam and I believe Jewish, are all "Religion of Book". The reason why there weren't a lot of sculptures of Gods is during Medieval times there was a big debt over religious figures. Some Church doesn't want people to warship some human figure as God whereas some believe this is the way to teach people and give believers something to look up to. Lots of paintings and sculptures were destroyed because of this.


Here is part of the painting by Jan van Eyck and Workshop Assistant. The painting is called "The Crucifixion; The Last Judgment". This painting has 3 layers and it is positioned hierarchically. The upper layer is the heaven; middle layer is the human world; the bottom is hell. It gives clear details of how each worlds are different from one another. How people in the heaven are receiving blessing of God and how people in the hell are suffering. The judge in the middle reminds me of the Monster in Dante's Inferno. Here is another painting of last judgment by Joos van Cleve.




This painting is done by Carlo Crivelli. it is a painting of Pieta. As shown in the picture, they all have halo above shoulders suggesting that they are holy and pure. I enjoy how Carlo made their expression to look like. It shows how important Pieta meant to them and how sad they were to lose him.

No comments:

Post a Comment