Wednesday, May 5, 2010

My Museum Report

On my visit to the Metropolitan Museum I was overwhelmed with the vast amount of art work and sculptures to choose from. I eventually was able to find some interesting things in the Medieval period exhibit. There were a few paintings and sculptures of the virgin Mary and baby Jesus which I found particularly interesting, "Virgin and Child" being one of them. The Medieval period was highly influenced by the Catholic church and as a person whose always found the history of religion to be fascinating I was blown away with the amount of attention they gave to virgin and child.



This picture to me sums up the medieval world. This was one of many sculptures of the virgin Mary and baby Jesus. This was also my favorite sculpture because of the great amount of detail in the piece.


















These are some other "virgin and child" pieces.
















I was also intrigued by this piece of the mourners who march around the tomb John the Fearless, who fought in the battle of Nicopolis. I found it interesting how different mourners had different expressions.













At the start of the semester, the thought of going to the museum seemed like a chore to me. I didn't think I would enjoy it, much less love it and plan on going back. Reading Dante's Inferno sealed the deal for me and piqued my interest in learning more about the Medieval period. Even though the Hell we see in the Inferno wasn't something I wanted to see further, the world that the poet Dante lived in to write the Inferno was something I was interested in. I wanted to know what would inspire a man and what type of world (political, social, etc.) would that man have lived in to write such a piece. I felt that visiting the Metropolitan Museum of Art helped me better understand that.

No comments:

Post a Comment