Monday, May 10, 2010

Museum







I went to the MET this past weekend and for my report I decided to take a look at the Renaissance period art. Pardon the poor picture taking but I managed to get a couple paintings and decided to write about three that interested me.
Hendrick Ter Brugghen
Dutch, 1588-1629
This oil canvas shows the crucifixion of Jesus with Virgin Mary and Saint John. It was painted as an altarpiece for a Catholic "hidden church". This painting gave a brutal depth to Jesus' death because you saw the places where his hands,feet, and body were pierced. The scene showed his mortality and the final sacrifice he made.

Fra Bartolomeo
Italian, Florentine 1473-1517
This painting shows Madonna and a Child with the young Saint John the Baptist. It is one of Fra Bartolomeo's early works and what struck me about this painting was how bright it was. The use of light was the key to creation of High Renaissance paintings and it was one of the more colorfully detailed paintings that I took a picture of.


Bennozzo di Lese di Sandro
Italian, Florentine, 1420-1497
This painting depicts the bishop of Florence resuscitating a dead child on the square in front of San Pier Maggiore. There are four panels which were painted but I decided to only take one because of its immense size. The crowd that just stands by to watch, brings a reality into the painting.



No comments:

Post a Comment